Medieval Meets Modern in One Parish.
St Paul’s was built as a centre of faith and community when the housing in North Andover was being put up. It is contemporary to its surroundings. St Michael & All Angels (or St Michael’s) dates from 11th Century, it is a small beautiful place where people have worshiped for centuries. Select an image to learn more about us – from the 1200’s to today.
There are services in both churches, St Michael’s churchyard and garden can be visited year round. St Paul’s also has an active programme of community events.
ORIGINS Built in the 11th Century, in Norman style. In the 12th Century the font was added. The first recorded vicar was in 1241, the lancet window dates from this time. In 1316 Enham became Soliders Enham and then Knights Enham – as it was owed by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem (Knights Templar).
REFORMATION The 16th Century bought with it change – as in other churches walls were white washed and services started to be ‘Protestant’. The plain wooden screen between the Chancel and the Nave was built. The South Aisle was demolished and porch built. In 1788 a pulpit and pews were gifted – some are still used.
‘MODERN’ ENHAM In the 19th Century stained glass was added. The bell tower was also probably added, it has an inscription ‘Thomas Mears 1837’. Around this time a new font was installed but we now use the original. Heating has been added (thanks to CS Hunt) and a cover made for the font (thanks to Vera Gordon’s family).
ST PAUL’S In the 1970s the Parish was enlarged due to the housing being built in North Andover. There was a need for a church local to this and funds were raised. The new church and social centre were dedicated on 5th Feb 1982, by the Bishop of Basingstoke.